Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It's Christmas time!!!


BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! It is cold in the desert southwest triangle!  Cold in the desert is somewhere between the 40's and high 60's.  Mind you, that's the high.  We get colder at night.  Most people think that you can't get hypothermia here, but surprise!  You can!  
Speaking of getting cold, I know 4 ladies at San Luis High School that won't be getting cold because of a knitter who loves them!   Here she is:
 

This is Fran.  Fran has been a VERY BUSY KNITTER the last week.  See the abundance of capelets and scarves she is wearing AND knitting?  These are the products of ONLY ONE WEEK OF KNITtiNg!
Feel like a slacker?  I do.  SHe is wearing a capelet, three scarves, and is about to finish the capelet that she is knitting.  Here is a closeup:











Remember the picture of Maya knitting from her backpack two posts ago?  This is her mom.  Hmmmmmmm.............hey Maya, did you knit some of these for your mom and she is taking the credit?  Just wondering.   Maya was getting to be a seriously fast knitter last time I looked.  I bet that the lucky recipients of these knitterly gifts will be absolutely thrilled.   If you have ever worked in a school, you know how important the Secretaries are to the organization.  The Administrators can leave for conferences, etc., but when the Secretaries are gone, the whole thing falls apart.  Fran must get to work with some really great people, I am sure they all deserve these cool things.  
     
I wasn't going to knit anything for my TA's (kids who work in my office) this year.  So, I lined up all of my Christmas knitting and kind of mapped out my knitting schedule.  Then I decided to knit for my TAs.  As a knitter, it is hard to say no, even to yourself at this time of year.  So I started in with 2 hats and 4 pairs of fingerless gloves or wristwarmers.  Here are two of my TAs:


They went really fast.  I used a chunky weight yarn, size 9 needles, cast on 24 stitches and knit in a 2 X 2 rib until they were as long as I wanted, measuring from mid middle finger to a few inches past my wrist.  I picked up 14 sts on either side as if to knit, and did a 3 needle bindoff.  From the other end, I picked up 9 sts and did a 3 needle bind off, which left a thumb hole.  Just enough to keep your wrists warm, and you don't have to take them off to write, eat, or pass out tylenol!  

Better run---by the way, my blog topped 1000 hits this week.  I did have a comment from a reader from Sweden, but as I was trying to publish their comment I hit a wrong button and I lost it:(  .  If you read this, please write back, yours is only the second comment I have ever received on my blog!  I appreciate any feedback. Heck, I might even have a contest with a prize like some of my sock camp buddies.  

By the way---Sock Camp this year is during Spring Break, so I will feel even less guilty that last year.  I am excited--last year was Camp Crow's Feet, this year, it is 
Camp KnittyHaHa!  I wonder what the Blue Moon Crew has dreamed up, last year will be hard to beat!

I will post in a day or two---I actually finished my mom's Stahman shawl, I am knitting the border and will block it tomorrow:)  Happy Knitting1







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy, I figured you might feel left out without a comment, so I decided to leave one. I am finishing the hat I was working on during our luncheon today by the way. L